Data recovery is a very technical skill that involves retrieving lost data from hard drives that have been damaged either from hardware or software related problem.
Data recovery is still a prominent service even though technology has made it possible to prevent data loss. There are many ways you can protect your digital information from forever being lost, but people don’t take the time. You can copy your important data on external hard drives or to online cloud storage service. Backing up your data is the best way to give you peace of mind in case something unfortunate happens to your computer’s hard drive.
Several factors that can lead to data loss include both hardware and software issues such as:
- Power surges that shocks motherboards and unsafely powers down the computer.
- Exhaust fans that are covered in dust and don’t properly cool down the motherboard or processor, causing them to overheat and malfunction.
- Software issues such as virus and malware over writing on your data.
- Human mistakes such as accidentally deleting files.
- File system format-not properly storing information.
- Logical damage of a file system.
- Loss of information about partition.
Almost all lost information on a hard drive can luckily be safely recovered if you notice the problem right away and bring it into a computer repair shop where they provide data recovery service. The only time your lost data cannot be retrieved is if you download or install a software or program onto your hard drive and your hard drive doesn’t have enough room to store the new information so it writes over the old information that was temporarily lost.
- There are many useful tools to backup your important data. In a previous article-”What’s the best method to backup your computer data” we mentioned how to backup your data. It’s easy to copy your data to various devices and online services and a great method to prevent data loss or recovery services.
- Virus attacks are so common these days that it is likely there will be a virus created to completely damage the content of your hard drive. We recommend you to update your antivirus software regularly to fight off the latest virus that is spreading throughout the web.
- Protect your computer from simple mistakes by keeping your computer away from pets, children, and liquids so simple errors won’t occur. Create passwords for programs and files that are important so they will be more safe and not easily erased.
- Avoid being aggressive with your computer- Computers are fragile and the components and parts of a computer are precisely put in certain places to run as it should. When a computer is being shuffled around and aggressively handled, this can lead to shifting the components causing damage and even data loss.
- Reduce the temperature of your computers processing unit by using a simple cooling fan placed near the hard disk to prevent it from overheating and crashing.
- Be sure to properly shut down your computer. All data should be saved and programs closed before shutting down the operating system.
There are services and softwares available to recover lost data, but it can be costly and avoidable. It’s best to take the above preventive measures and avoid the hassle of data recovery.
Stay tech savvy, my friends.