Do you understand what a basic home wireless network means? In simple words, it depicts connecting the internet access point like a cable from your ISP to a wireless router in a way that could let multiple devices connect to the network efficiently.
The only approach that people take to secure their home wireless network is keeping it password protected but in this world of security breaches, it is mandatory to secure it more efficaciously. Here follows are few ways which you can think of executing while securing your home network.
• Change your default home network name – Changing the name of your home wireless network makes it difficult for people to understand which kind of router you are using. Do not disclose much information on the wireless network to stay away from any theft activity.
• Set a strong password – Do make sure to change the wireless default and access password only after the installation. A strong password must be minimal 20 characters long comprising letters, numbers and symbols.
• Boost security by activating network encryption – The wireless networks come with so many encryption languages like WPA, WEP, and WPA2. It is advisable to go for next generation wireless network encryption that helps in giving a boost to the security level as well as involves a wide range of features simplifying Wi-Fi security configuration for service providers and users.
• Turn off the home network when you are not using it – To enhance the security of your home network, it is highly recommended to turn off the network whenever you are away, not using or not at home. Turning off of your network helps in minimizing the chances to get hacked, brings calmness to your place and being damaged by power surges.
• The location of the router in your home – Do make sure to place the wireless router in the middle of the home as much as possible. It aids in providing equivalent access to all the rooms in terms of signal bandwidth and range.
• Change default IP address – By changing the default IP address of the wireless router, you can give a boost to the security of the home network. It makes it difficult for hackers to keep a track of the same. To do the same, there are instructions stated in the user manual of the router, so follow them step by step and change it.
• Turn off DHCP feature in router – Make sure to turn off the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) feature in the router, in which IP addresses are allocated to each specific device on a network. Rather, make use of a static address that is more secure.
• Disable remote access – By simply disabling the remote access of your wireless router, external parties won’t be able to access your device privacy settings. To do the change, feel free to do a web search for “Remote Administration or Remote Access”.
• Keep the router’s software up-to-date – In many wireless routers; there is not a function to auto update their software and users have to do the same manually. So, be aware of the updates, go to settings and keep it updated always to stay away from any kind of vulnerability or attack.
• Firewalls can secure home wireless network – Firewalls are available in hardware variety as well, along with being just used as software programs on your PCs. A hardware firewall adds one extra layer of security to the network. It also helps in safeguarding your system against virus and malware attacks.
In a shell, enhancing and securing the home wireless network should be everyone’s top notch priority. Above mentioned pointers are useful for even non techies and could be applied by them. Aside from this, do not ever forget that your wireless network security could be weak and simply prone to attacks. But make sure to follow the procedures to be secure at all time. In case of any concern or assistance, feel free to reach out a reliable Wi-Fi support service provider like Heroes and Geeks, which has a reputation in the industry for offering excellent Wi-Fi support services.